Gardening and Commercial Landscaping Diploma Level 2 at Capel Manor College
On this course you will build a sound knowledge and gain solid practical experience in gardening, landscaping and the urban environment and go on to apply this foundation to real work situations in the UK and abroad.
- constructing and maintaining boundaries – landscaping
- care and maintenance of gardens in all seasons
- using garden and landscaping machinery and tools
- cultivation and assessment of soil texture
- establishing and maintaining lawns
- identifying plants by botanical name
- identifying damage caused by plant pests
- producing a basic garden design and a planting plan
- planting container grown plants – trees, shrubs, perennials
- dealing with customers – requests and providing advice
- propagating plants
- training in use of hedge trimmers, mowers and compact tractors
- gaining first aid knowledge with strong emphasis on health and safety
- up to 150 hours work experience with an employer.
You will be assessed through a range of practical and written projects and assessments, to achieve the overall award you must successfully pass all specialist units.
You will need at least one of the following:
- at least 4 GCSEs at grades D or above including at least two in English, maths or a science related subject
- an overall Distinction in an Introduction to Gardening and Landscaping (Level 1) or equivalent
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
You will be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions and complete an initial assessment so that we can help you study. References are also considered.
We want all of our students to maximise their personal development and prospects for employment or further study. While on your course you will continue to build skills relevant to work and study on our Skills Development programmes, which may include English, maths or computer skills.
Successful completion of this course will:
- enable you to progress to our Horticulture Advanced Diplomas (Level 3), an Advanced Apprenticeship in Horticulture (Level 3) or a Garden Design Advanced Diploma (Level 3)
- help you gain employment at an assistant-level in the gardening and landscaping industry, opportunities include: working overseas, in landscaping, turf management, parks and gardens, community gardens, garden retail or you could consider starting up your own business
- visit the Grow website for more career options and ideas.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Capel Manor College directly.