Politics A Level (Edexcel) at Tower Hamlets College
In the first year you will look at British politics, studying the nature of democracy and the political system in the UK. We will examine the different groups and individuals that operate within the system, this includes political parties and pressure groups. In the second half of the year, we look at the structure of the British Constitution and how law is created in the UK. To do this we will look at the British Executive, Legislature and Judicial system.
In the second year, we are one of the few Colleges in London to look at International Politics. You will look at the world’s most powerful States, the UN, NATO and the EU. In the second term, you will study conflict and terrorism. We will also consider the increasing role of international law. Finally, we will look at development and the environment and why are some States richer than others? Why is it so hard for States to reach agreements on environmental issues?
This course really encourages you to think for yourself, to question the world around you and to see issues from a different point of view. This is valuable to most employers and universities.
- In AS you will study People and Politics and Governing the UK
- In A2 you will study Global Political Issues, and the Structures of Global Politics
- Grade B in English Language and another written subject
You are assessed through a series of four exams.
- University to study courses such as Economics, Politics, International Relations, Development Studies, History, Business, Sociology and Law.
- Work or internships in Politics, social and charitable organisations.
- Careers in Journalism, Researcher, Civil Service, Local Government, Charities, Pressure Groups and the Law
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Tower Hamlets College directly.