Welsh (2nd Language) - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like to develop your understanding of spoken and written Welsh? This course develops your communicative skills in speaking, reading and writing. It also broadens your awareness of Welsh culture and life. It provides a coherent and worthwhile curriculum, extending your language skills to an advanced level. It also allows you to boost your career options and Higher Education prospects.
The course is suitable if you have completed a higher-level GCSE in second language Welsh, and want to continue studying. It can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study, in conjunction with other AS/A Level subjects, or possibly with other Level 3 courses. Our staff will be very happy to help you put together a programme most suited to your needs. The course can also be taken on a part-time basis by mature students.
Please note: at our Dolgellau and Pwllheli campuses, only the AS level is available.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Classroom learning
- Analytical reading, writing and responding
- Working with forms of media, such as films, articles and literature
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Mathematics and English and Welsh (2nd language Higher level).
- Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed as follows:
- You will have external examinations in May and June each year
- You will also complete oral assessments and coursework
Whether you gain the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions. This includes degrees in Welsh, Translation Studies and other language-based subjects, as well as many other options.
In addition, the Welsh language skills you develop will enhance your job prospects and your appreciation of Welsh culture and communities. You will be able to progress into careers within Wales and beyond, including roles in local government, the Welsh Government, the Health sector, Education and Media.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.