Animal Care BTEC Level 2 Diploma at Seevic College
Level 2 Animal Care is a vocational qualification designed for students who wish to work with animals.
To be successful on this course you must be able to demonstrate a real commitment, desire and enthusiasm for a career in animal care. You will study a range of units, including:
You will also investigate specific types of animals in further detail, including the nursing of animals and aspects of animal biology. As part of the course you will complete work experience in a relevant setting and visit a local farm.
- Animal Health
- Animal Handling
- Animal Welfare
- Animal Housing and Accommodation
- Principles of Animal Behaviour.
At least four GCSEs at grade D/3 or above including English Language or Maths. At least one GCSE needs to be at grade C/4 or above.
- This is a theory based course with practical elements and assessments built into it. Assessment will be through continuous assignments taught through lectures, practical, presentations, animal handling demonstrations, trips and guest speakers.
- You will sit one exam and the workload is substantial therefore good organisational and time management skills are essential.
- You will also have the opportunity to develop your Functional Skills
- You will need waterproof footwear and a coat, as you will often be working outdoors with animals.
- There will be a number of trips to a variety of animal collections, which are essential in building up your animal handling experience.
Students may progress onto the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management. Alternatively, you may seek relevant employment such as in a zoo, pet shop or kennels.
- A mixture of theory and practical allowing you to put into practice what you learn in the classroom
- Visits to a variety of animal collections offering you the chance to see a range of animal handling techniques
- 150 hours’ worth of work experience over the year – allowing you to develop excellent employability skills
- Unrivalled support and help sessions run throughout the year by your Tutors.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Seevic College directly.