Geography A Level at Highfields School
Geography is the study of the world around us and man’s impact on it. It considers the physical and human influences that shape and style our world including climate change, immigration, extreme climates, earthquakes, regeneration of cities and tourism.
- core A level content includes two physical and two human themes (1 each for AS) plus geographical skills
- core physical themes are water/carbon cycles and landscape systems (e.g. Hot Deserts) core human themes are global systems/global governance and changing place/changing places (e.g. Health, Global Migration and Contemporary Urban Environments).
Minimum of two fieldwork days at AS and four days for A level – these will include work in Ringinglow and Sheffield for Human Geography, The Peak District and the Lake District for Physical Geography. At AS this fieldwork is examined through a written exam paper and at A2, students will undertake an independent study.
AS: 100% examination: one examination on fieldwork investigation and one on syllabus content.
A2: 80% examination: one fieldwork investigation (20%) and one examination on syllabus content.
- Travel and tourism
- Local Government planning
- Resource management
- Meteorology and climatology, including climate change
- Financial Services
- Multi-National Organisations
- Non-Government Organisations
- International Development
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Highfields School directly.