Performing Arts Level 2 Extended Certificate at Gateshead College
Love to act, dance or just be on a stage?
Level 2 Performing Arts is great preparation for study at Level 3 and beyond in acting, dance or musical theatre. If you don't have the Level 2 qualifications or vocational experience necessary for direct entry to Level 3, this programme is ideal.
The main focus is on acting, but you will also gain experience in dance, singing and musical theatre. You'll work with other students on a range of performance projects in college and in local public venues and be involved in a full-scale production at the end of the course.
You'll also make sure that you leave with everything you need to be successful in further study or in work. This means you'll spend time working on wider employment skills and on academic development (including English and maths).
You'll also explore how the performing arts industry works.
This course is Level 2 - you should have appropriate vocational qualifications at Level 1 or some GCSEs at grade D or above, preferably including English and maths.
- Continuous assessment using class based assignments and portfolio of evidence
- You will be assessed throughout the course by means of practical projects that centre on performance, design and technical aspects of the theatre.
- Practical work and written research will be evaluated. Individual contributions during assessments will be continuously assessed throughout, as there are no formal examinations.
- This course will get you ready for the Level 3 Performing Arts courses at Gateshead College, and from there you could progress to our BA in Performing Arts.
- Employment opportunities may be available in the theatre, television or film industries.
With industry standard rehearsal spaces and a custom built 200 capacity performance theatre, all our performance courses are well catered for.
We were chosen as a founder college of the National Skills Academy Creative and Cultural (NSACC), a national network of colleges, companies and venues around the country that aim to improve the skill level within the Creative Industries.
We were the only college in the region to be chosen for the network which includes the Royal Albert Hall, Sage Gateshead and companies behind some of the world's biggest music festivals.
Our status as a founder college means our students get exclusive opportunities such as:
- Work experience behind the scenes at Leeds Festival
- Workshop days and tours of venues such as the Royal Albert Hall
- Performance opportunities at venues such as The Sage Gateshead
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gateshead College directly.