Animal Management - Level 3 Extended Diploma (Edexcel) at HARTPURY COLLEGE
If you want to pursue a career in the animal management industry, this Diploma will equip you with a detailed understanding of a broad range of subjects you’ll require.
This two year course, equivalent to 3 A levels, gives you the knowledge, understanding and skills required at this level in animal management industries.
Our large and varied animal collection of exotic species and domestic species of livestock at Home Farm offer excellent practical hands-on learning opportunities alongside theory-based lessons.
The units listed below reflect the subjects currently offered on this course but are subject to change:
- Undertake animal handling and safe working
- Understand the principles of zoological health and husbandry
- Understand and promote animal health
- Plan and monitor animal feeding
- Manage animal accommodation
- Understand and carry out farm livestock husbandry
- Understand animal anatomy and physiology
- Understand and interpret animal behaviour and communication
- Understanding animal nursing
- Undertake and review work related experience in the land-based industries
- Undertake an investigative project
- Understand the principles of animal biology
- Understand the principles of wildlife populations, ecology and conservation
- Understand the principles of dog grooming
- Understand and undertake wildlife management and rehabilitation
- Understand working dogs
- Understand the principles and carry out the practice of biochemistry and microbiology
- Understand the principles of animal breeding and genetics
- Understand the principles and carry out the practice of exotic animal health and husbandry
During the second year, you will be given the opportunity to attend a residential study tour to Borneo. Here you will experience wild flora and fauna first hand within a biologically diverse environment and appreciate a culture very different to our own.
Five GCSEs at grade C or above which must include English Language and Mathematics.
Students under 19 on 31 August 2015 are free (full time courses only). Examination fees for main qualifications are also free.
Students aged 19 to 23 may need to pay tuition fees. We may be able to waive your fees if you are unemployed and receiving Jobseekers Allowance, studying your first full level 2 qualification or level 3 qualification.
Students aged 24 and over. You may need to pay for your course.
Educational visits charge: An annual £65 fee is payable for all students and covers the cost of outside visits, special speakers and a contribution to the cost of administration.
On successful completion of this course and a suitable reference from a tutor, you are able to progress on to a Foundation degree or Honours degree (subject to entry requirements).
It is possible to continue in other more specific fields offered at the College, for example, dog grooming or training as a Veterinary Nurse.
Career opportunities include: kennel or cattery worker, pet shop manager, veterinary assistant or receptionist, animal collection worker or technician, carer or warden within charity organisations such as the RSPCA or Blue Cross and dog handler or trainer.
Our students have gone on to some fantastic careers in a wide range of industries and enjoyed some exceptional work placements all over the world, helping them open doors to their dream careers.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact HARTPURY COLLEGE directly.