Chemistry A Level at Samuel Whitbread Academy
The Chemistry course aims to:
• Develop an understanding of the key concepts underpinning the chemical nature of all particles and their reactions
• Encourage students to develop their analytical, practical and investigative skills
• Develop a curious and independent student
• Prepare students for higher level study/employment in the chemical industries
The Chemistry course features a wide variety of learning opportunities including practical experimentation, problem-solving, individual project investigations, ICT and presentation skills.
The course starts by introducing the basic chemical principles and skills to cover atomic structure, amount of substance, bonding and periodicity and basics of organic chemistry. These skills and knowledge are then applied to energetics, kinetics, equilibrium, and redox chemistry. Student’s organic knowledge is expanded to include more organic families of molecules and their reaction mechanisms.
The course completes further and deeper understanding of topics taught in the first year while introducing the new concepts of entropy, analytical techniques, reactions of the transition metals, and the synthesis of organic molecules.
• APS 5.2
• Grade 6 in GCSE Sciences. If more than one Science at least two must be at a grade 6 (one must be Chemistry).
• Grade 6 in GCSE Maths (discussion with department if a grade 5 is achieved)
• Pass the entry exam.
• 100% external examination
Chemistry is an exciting, challenging, rewarding and relevant course, ideally suited to careers in science, engineering or industry. With a qualification in Chemistry you could go onto Higher education, studying Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or other related scientific courses. Chemistry is an essential requirement for the medical, pharmaceutical, biochemical or environmental sciences.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Samuel Whitbread Academy directly.