Food Technology A Level at St Mary's Menston, a Catholic voluntary academy
St Mary’s is offering students the opportunity to study A Level Food Technology which will be taught at split sites – St Mary’s, Menston and Fieldhead Road, Guiseley. If you enjoyed Food Technology at GCSE, this course will open the door to new and exciting opportunities. Students will be encouraged to develop a broad view of design and technology at the same time as appreciating the relationships between design, materials, manufacture and marketing within the context of food. A problem solving practical approach will provide many opportunities to work with food, developing knowledge and understanding along with processes and techniques. Producing food of an innovative and creative nature will be the focus at AS level.
Unit 1: will include
- Working with functional properties of protein, fats, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals.
- The relationship between diet and health, special diets and lifestyles.
- Environmental factors influencing food choices; organic food, sources of energy.
- Issues affecting the design of new food products
- Food safety and hygiene
Unit 2: is coursework based. Students will be given the opportunity to develop and solve a problem relating to food design and making
Unit 3: will include
- The nutritional composition of food
- The working characteristics of food
- Preservation methods and extending shelf life
- Issues affecting the design of new products
- Relevant legislation
Unit 4: is coursework based. Students will demonstrate knowledge and apply skills through the development of design and make activities.
It is essential that students have studied GCSE Food Technology.
Students wishing to seek a career in this area may wish to investigate: food product development, food manufacturing, food science, food and nutrition / dietician, the hotel and catering industry. The food industry is collectively the UK’s largest employer!
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.