Applied Science A Level at Prudhoe Community High School
During the course students will be taught theory in all three sciences which they will then use to carry out their coursework.
- Unit 1 Key Concepts in Science
- Unit 2 Applied Experimental Techniques
- Unit 3 Science in the Modern World
- Unit 7 Investigating science
- Unit 14 The healthy body
- Section A Fitness plan coursework
- Section B Fitness workers
- Section C First aid coursework
Students will sit two external exams at the end of Year 12 and submit 6 pieces of practical based coursework.
- Unit 1 Key Concepts in Science: (External examination) Students will complete short and long answer questions on the topic areas from year 12. Questions will be knowledge based; as well as drawing on the practical work that students have completed throughout the course. Students MUST pass this examination to pass the course.
- Unit 2 Applied Experimental Techniques: (Coursework submission) Students will complete 6 units of coursework based on the key concepts in science. Students will be allowed only one resubmission of coursework to improve on their initial submission.
- Unit 3 Science in the Modern World: (External examination) Students will sit an external examination based on pre-release material. Students MUST pass this examination to pass the course.
Students will sit one external exam at the end of Year 13 on Unit 14 called the healthy body. This will make up 33% of their final year 13 mark The other 66% comes from coursework, Unit 7 Investigating science and Unit 9 Sports science. Deadlines will be set during the year and must be met by students to enable them to achieve the highest mark.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Prudhoe Community High School directly.