Vehicle Body Repair and Paint Level 2 at Gateshead College
This course is unique as it gives you two recognised qualifications;
- Body Repair
- Paint Refinishing
This means you'll gain knowledge and skills in two specialist areas, giving you the best possible start to a career in the repair and refinishing industry.
A practical and hands-on course, you'll work on the latest vehicles and industry standard resources. Using our outstanding facilities and equipment you will develop skills in all aspects of vehicle body repair and paint refinishing.
As part of your study programme you will also attend maths and English sessions and have the opportunity to improve your GCSE grades.
You will also gain a broad knowledge and understanding of the different job roles in the Automotive industry.
The course will give you the technical skills needed by today’s motor vehicle repair industry, including diagnosis and rectification procedures for accident damage and paint rectification. It provides the essential knowledge that you'll need to work as a body repairer or paint refinisher working on a wide range of vehicles in all types of garages, dealerships and specialist body repair shops.
You will study theory and practical aspects of:
- Removing and Fitting Non-Permanently Fixed Motor Vehicle Body Panels
- Removing and Replacing Exterior Motor Vehicle Panels Including Permanently Fixed Components
- Minor Motor Vehicle Exterior Body Panel Repairs
- Motor Vehicle Body MIG/MAG Welding Techniques
- Motor Vehicle Body Resistance Spot Welding Operations
- Tools and Equipment used in Vehicle Refinishing
- Applying Fillers and Foundation Materials
- Preparing Metal and Pre-painted Surfaces
- Repairing Minor Paint Defects
- Vehicle Body Adhesive Bonding Operations
You'll have the opportunity to take up a work experience placement with one of our employer partners to further enhance your employability skills and knowledge.
- Level 1 Body and Repair or a good level of practical experience and an interview.
- You will need to sit an initial assessment in numeracy and literacy, and demonstrate that you are capable of working at level 2.
- Followed with advice and guidance to ensure you are on the right course.
- You will be assessed throughout the programme by use of practical assessments within our workshops and also via assessments.
- You will also need to build a portfolio of evidence that will be submitted to the awarding body at the end of the programme.
Fast track to an apprenticeship
This qualification also forms the knowledge component or technical certificate of an advanced level apprenticeship which, along with the required maths and English qualifications makes up part of the apprenticeship framework. This means you'll have a head start over other candidates if you decide to apply. When you're ready, we'll help you find a vacancy, complete the application form and prepare for interview to give you the best chance of success.
Over 90% of our students go on to progress to one of our Level 3 programmes or secure an apprenticeship with one of our employer partners such as Nissan, Nationwide Accident Repair, Bristol Street Motors or specialists in vehicle restoration like Aston Martin Workshops.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gateshead College directly.