Introduction to Gardening and Landscaping Diploma Level 1 at Capel Manor College
This foundation course will give you a great practical introduction to gardening and landscaping and will provide you with an understanding of the type of work and career opportunities that are available in the industry.
- maintaining gardens throughout the different seasons
- plant identification – trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals
- using a range of tools and machinery
- establishing and maintaining lawns
- training in use of mowers
- building and maintaining garden structures
- work experience with employers
- first aid
- health and safety
- employability skills.
A great deal of this course will be carried out in a practical environment with some classroom-based study. You will be assessed throughout the programme and given independent study projects to complete.
You will need at least one of the following:
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- enthusiasm for working outdoors
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
You will be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions and complete an initial assessment so that we can help you study. References are also considered.
We want all of our students to maximise their personal development and prospects for employment or further study. While on your course you will continue to build skills relevant to work and study on our Skills Development programmes, which may include English, maths or computer skills.
Successful completion of this course will:
- enable you to progress to our Gardening and Commercial Landscaping Diploma (Level 2) or an Intermediate Apprenticeship in Horticulture (Level 2)
- help you gain employment in the gardening and landscaping industry at an entry-level, career opportunities include: landscape maintenance, retail horticulture in garden centres or working in parks, gardens or sports turf
- visit the Grow website for more career options and ideas.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Capel Manor College directly.