Applied Science - BTEC Level 3 at Lipson Co-operative Academy
Students enrolling on this course can expect:
· High engagement practical work geared towards providing the skill set needed for further study of science or working in the scientific industry.
· The ability to select an optional module to study that interests and benefits their progression the most.
· Lower examination pressure as 50% of the course is internally assessed and only 25% of the final grade is based on the final exam, with the other 25% coming from an externally assessed piece of coursework
· Preparation towards working in the Scientific Industry with strong links to Medical Science.
Students enrolling on the BTEC Applied Nationals in Applied Science will need the following qualifications as a minimum:
- Science C/C
- English C/C
- Mathematics C
- 5 A*-C Grades at GCSE
The course consist of 4 units:
Three mandatory units:
Unit 1: Principals and Applications of Science: External Exam
Unit 2: Practical and Scientific Procedures and Techniques: Internal Assessment
Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills: Externally Assessed Practical Controlled Assessment
One optional unit to be selected from:
Physiology of Human Body Systems: Internal Assessment
Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways: Internal Assessment
Genetics and Genetic Engineering: Internal Assessment
Diseases and Infections: Internal Assessment
This course leads into a variety of further education courses within the fields of science and laboratory work. When Combined with other A Levels and BTEC qualifications this course can lead to:
- Applied Science, Maths, Physics or Design Technology can progress on to engineering related courses.
- Applied Science and National Extended Certificate in Sport can progress on to sport science and physiotherapy courses.
- Applied Science and National Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care can progress onto some Nursing and Midwifery Courses.
- Applied Science and Geography can progress onto Environmental Science Courses.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lipson Co-operative Academy directly.