Children’s Play, Learning and Development Specialist Qualification at Thorpe St Andrew School and Sixth Form
This course is equivalent to one A Level and students should choose three additional AS subjects alongside this qualification. It is a specialist qualification which focuses on particular aspects of employment within the childcare sector. This qualification can extend a learner’s programme of study and provides a vocational emphasis for students studying other A Levels.
You will gain the knowledge and skills required in the care and early years sector, preparing you for further study and training. You will also have the opportunity to carry out work experience.
Six core units of study which include:
- Child Development (an externally assessed unit) – this will be a case study assessment
- Play In Early Years Settings
- Health and Safety Practice in Early Years Settings
- Observing and Assessing Children
- Literacy and Numeracy.
You will also:
- Carry out work experience in your free periods
- Need to complete all units in order to gain the qualification over a period of two years.
Four GCSEs at Grade C or above. You will need English, Mathematics and Science at GCSE Grade C or above and an interest in caring for children.
The subject is of particular relevance to a wide range of degrees such as Teaching, Nursing and Social Work.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Thorpe St Andrew School and Sixth Form directly.