Gym & Fitness Instruction (Gladiators) at Derby College
The Diploma in Health, Fitness and Exercise Instruction is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise. The year-long course will combine GCSE and skills requirements with an active and physical programme of gym instruction.
- Understanding the employing organisation
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Understanding employment rights and responsibilities
- Supporting clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Understanding the active leisure and learning sector
- Principles of customer service
- Diet and nutrition for healthy living
- Food groups and digestion
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
The course will also include a work placement, tutorial and the development of English and maths skills.
This course is suitable for learners who have previously studied a BTEC Certificate in Sport. You will need to have five GCSEs graded at C-E and to have competency in English and maths to help with the theoretical aspects of the programme. Learners must have achieved English at grade C or above. GCSE Maths will be compulsory for all learners with a grade D.
You should be able to demonstrate high standards of discipline, punctuality and attendance. It is essential that each learner works to the deadlines set or they may face changes to, or withdrawal from, their study programme.
Practical sessions are compulsory, so learners must also be physically able to take part in both indoor and outdoor sessions. Although current gym membership is not required, you will be expected to use the gym as part of your ongoing professional development.
You will build a portfolio based around evidence generated by the various assessment methods in each unit. You can expect to be assessed through:
- multiple choice examination
- portfolio of evidence
- practical demonstration/assignment
- written examination
Maths and English will be assessed through a controlled assessment or final exam.
- Diploma in Personal Training
- Advanced Diploma in Sport Coaching
- Advanced Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derby College directly.