Public Services Level 2 Diploma at New College Durham
This course leads to the award of the BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services. This qualification will prepare you for a career within some Uniformed and Public Service organisations and/or further education opportunities.
The aims of the programme are to:
- Provide an educational foundation for a range of careers in the Uniformed and Public Services
- Provide specialised studies directly relevant to individual vocations and professions within the Uniformed and Public Services in which individuals are currently working or intend to seek employment
- Enable you to make an immediate contribution in employment
- Provide flexibility, knowledge, skills and motivation as a basis for future studies and career development
- Develop your ability in a Uniformed or Public Service environment through effective use of the knowledge and skills gained in different parts of the programme
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
A BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services comprises of 7 units:
- Public Service Skills
- Career Planning for the Public Services
- Improving Health and Fitness for Entry to the Uniformed Public Services
- Adventurous Activities & Teamwork
- Driving & the Public Services
- Land Navigation by Map and Compass
- Employment in the Uniformed Services
In addition, the course includes the development and assessment of skills in:
- Working with others
- Leadership/decision making
Other qualifications on the course may include:
- First Aid
A variety of assessment methods are used, including assignments, time-constrained assignments, presentations, case studies and observation of performance.
The course is designed primarily for those who plan to enter employment and who have reached the minimum age of 16 years. BTEC Level 2 qualifications have been designed on the assumption that they are available, without artificial barriers, which restrict access and progression to everyone who can achieve the required standard. However, individuals who enter with at least one of the following criteria are likely to benefit more readily from the programme: A standard of literacy and numeracy supported by a general education equivalent to 4 GCSEs at grades D; (ideally English and Maths but not essential). A foundation GNVQ.
New College Durham has a long tradition of BTEC Level 2 students progressing to BTEC Level 3 Diploma and GNVQ Advanced/AVCE Awards and then onto higher education and degree programmes. It is likely that some students will take this route from the BTEC Level 2 qualification in Public Services. The usual progression route would be to a Level 3 Diploma or equivalent qualification.Related careers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact New College Durham directly.