Sport (Outdoor Adventure) BTEC Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma at Exeter College
This course combines the practical and theoretical elements of the Outdoor Adventurous Activities Industry and is equivalent to three A Levels. It
will prepare you for employment within the Outdoor Adventure Industry or to progress on to university to study the subject at a higher level. You could also study for a Foundation Degree in Outdoor Adventure Education at Exeter College. In your first year
you will study the 90-credit Diploma progressing to the Extended Diploma in your second year.
You will study at Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre in Exeter, a state of the art £5.6million outdoor education centre. You will participate in a wide range of adventure activities, such as kayaking, climbing, moutain biking and team building. You will also cover the theory of fitness, anatomy, physiology, nutrition and practice leadership, coaching and training. Lectures will be both theoretical and practical.
The course consists of 19 units of study which is made up of a number of core and specialist units.
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Leadership in Sport
- Principles and Practices in Outdoor Adventure
- Equipment and Facilities for Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
Specialist Units from the following:
- Work Experience
- Impact and Sustainability in Outdoor Adventure
- Skills for Land-based Outdoor Adventurous Activities
- Skills for Water-based Outdoor Adventurous Activities
- Leading Land-based Outdoor Adventurous Activities
- Leading Water-based Outdoor Adventurous Activities
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
- Alternative Pursuits for Outdoor Adventure
- Sports Facilities and Operational Management
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Nutrition
- Environmental Education for Outdoor Adventure
- Organising an Event
You need five GCSEs at Grade A* to C (including English Language). You also need the personal qualities required to work in the Outdoor and Adventurous Activities Industry.
Assessment is all through coursework which will be set by your lecturers.
- Practical kit – approximately £120
- Activities approximately £170
- Expedition approximately £150
National Governing Body (NGB) training and awards will be available at additional costs.
On completion of this course you may wish to progress to an appropriate course at higher education or enter the Outdoor Adventurous Activities Industry directly either as an apprentice or through employment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Exeter College directly.