Digital Media Production BTEC Diploma Level 3 at Thomas Tallis School
Btec Diploma in creative digital media production is a specialist vocational qualification, equivalent to two A levels and designed to be studied over two years. At Tallis we specialise in the technical pathway in film and television production and if you’re interested in working in the industry then this is the course for you. After all, one in six new jobs created in the capital is in one of the media industries.
You will develop a knowledge and understanding of:
- the film and television industry
- film and television production skills
- writing proposals and pitches for commissions
- how to develop film and television treatments outlining your ideas and concepts
- how to work in teams and as individuals to produce film and television projects
- the technical skills required for working in the film and television sector
- the roles and responsibilities within the film and television industry.
You will develop the ability to apply:
- film and sound recording and editing techniques to produce film and television products
Creative Digital Media Production
You will show and apply your knowledge and understanding of:
- the codes and conventions of television production
- the codes and conventions of fiction film production
- post production techniques for film and television production
- pre-production techniques for film and television including, pitches, proposals, treatments and storyboarding
- sound recording for film and television using professional equipment
- camera techniques for film and television, both studio and location based
- lighting techniques for different purposes
- sound and film editing for film and television
- professional roles and responsibilities within the television and film sector.
We have decided to teach the Diploma only over two years. We will not be offering any qualification at the end of Year 12. We believe that completing the two year course, and being assessed at the end, will both enhance your chance of success and improve your understanding of digital media production.
2 Externally set examinations Each 120 guided learning hours
2 Compulsory units Each 60 guided learning hours
6 Specialist unit Each 60 guided learning hours
You will study the following areas of creative digital media production:
-digital media skills
-responding to a commission
-film production - fiction
-storyboarding for digital media
-film editing •sound editing
-multi camera techniques
Externally assessed units
Learners must achieve all external units at Pass grade or above. The styles of external assessment used are:
- set tasks - learners take the assessment during a defined window and demonstrate understanding through completion of a vocational task.
- performance - learners prepare for assessment over an extended window and demonstrate skills that generate a some non-written evidence.
- make judgements and draw conclusions
Internally assessed units
Learners will be given opportunities to:
- demonstrate practical and technical skills using appropriate tools/processes etc.
- complete realistic tasks to meet specific briefs or particular purposes
- write up the findings of their own research
- carry out projects for which they have choice over the direction and outcomes
- use case studies to explore complex or unfamiliar situations.
- develop an ePortfolio to showcase this work
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Thomas Tallis School directly.