Modern Foreign Languages French, German and Spanish A Level at Malbank School and Sixth form College
At Malbank Sixth Form College the Languages department have a track record of excellent results; all of our staff have spent at least a year in the country of their specialist language, have travelled widely and have an outstanding cultural knowledge. We believe in offering authentic experiences to our pupils and last year ran a Christmas shopping trip to Lille, France. Malbank Sixth Form is in the process of setting up links with Baccalaureat students in Paris. We strongly encourage our students to travel independently and this year five of our AS pupils spent a week doing work experience in France, this programme is offered to students of all 3 languages. If you have previously studies French at GCSE level and wish to develop your subject experience then this is the subject for you.
At AS the programme of study covers four main topics including:
- The Media-television, advertising and new technology
- Popular Culture-music, fashion and cinema
- Healthy Living-sport, well-being and work-life balance
- Personal relationships-family, friendships, relationships
At A2 the programme of study covers:
- The Multicultural Society-immigration, integration and racism
- The environment- pollution, energy and threats to the planet
- Contemporary Social Issues-wealth and poverty, crime and science and technology
- Two Cultural Topics which could include film, theatre, art, 20th century history or literature
Entry requirements for this course is a B grade in French, German or Spanish. You must have a GCSE in the relevant language to be considered. We expect all of our students to show enthusiasm for leaning modern foreign languages, and to contribute to the department.
Many of our students go onto University to study languages as a degree or as a joint degree. Some careers include MFL teacher, translators, foreign services, travel and hospitality and working for international organisations.
What Extra Opportunities are available?
Outside of the classroom we offer the opportunity for real and authentic experience on an exchange trip, Christmas
shopping trip to France and the opportunity to take part in a work experience.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Malbank School and Sixth form College directly.