Physics AS Level at St Vincent College
The course aims to develop in students a very thorough command of “classical” fundamental analytical skills, problem solving and mathematical modelling techniques which are the key not only to good Physics but to many other areas of scientific and technological endeavour. In addition you will be introduced to the exotic world of Quantum Theory and the frontiers of Particle Physics and Cosmology. You will be involved in practical experimental activities, individual research, discussion and problem solving. The course places a strong emphasis on understanding how the theory relates to the real world around you. Even if you do not pursue the course beyond AS the course provides a valuable insight into the way that Physics profoundly affects our view of the universe. If you choose to go to A2 then you find this qualification is highly valued in fields as varied as accountancy, communications, engineering, medicine, computing, meteorology and many other career paths as well as, of course, pure Physics.
Unit G481: Mechanics
• Forces, Motion, Work and Energy
Unit G482: Electrons, Waves and Photons:
• DC Circuit Theory, Waves and Quantum Physics
Unit G483: Practical skills:
• Assessed Quantitative, Qualitative and Evaluation task
• Five GCSEs at grade A* – C, including Maths GCSE at grade B and Science at BB
• Mature students by negotiation
Examinations and coursework
For each year of the course there is a Student’s Book and accompanying CD-ROM. The Department will have copies available under our refundable deposit loan scheme and details of these publications are available on VLE. We are also fortunate in being well equipped with experimental apparatus for all the practical work.
• Higher Education for degree courses in physics, engineering or other sciences
• Career opportunities in a wide range of engineering, medical, technical and scientific occupations
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Vincent College directly.