Sport BTEC Level 3 at Saints Peter and Paul Catholic College
This is a two year course covering fourteen units of sports related study.
You will take part in practical sessions which will develop your ability as a performer, leader, coach and analyst. You will study units that explore the world of sport from the view of a performer, coach and organiser.
You will learn:
- how the body and mind respond to exercise.
- what issues are important to sport in our society.
- how to develop your leadership and coaching skills. Working with younger students, you will begin to gain the experience needed for National Governing Body Awards in your preferred sports.
- how to lead and coach local schools and regional sports events.
- the skills necessary to be successful in a sports related career and run a sports related business.
- how to develop skills in alternative sporting activities such as mountain biking, skiing and outdoor adventurous activities.
- how to plan, promote and lead a range of sports activities and events with younger students.
The course consists of ten mandatory units, set by the examination board:
1. Anatomy and Physiology
2. Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being
3. Professional Development in the Sports Industry
4. Sports Leadership
7. Practical Sports Performance
8. Coaching for Performance
9. Research methods in sport
19. Development and Provision of Sport and Physical Activity
22. Investigating Business in Sport and Active Leisure
23. Acquiring Skill in Sport
You will also complete four further optional units, decided by the course leaders to best suit your abilities.
You need to be a dynamic, enthusiastic and confident student. Leadership or coaching skills are highly valued, and you must be passionate about participating in or promoting sport to a wider audience. Having a specialist sport will help you relate new learning to a practical situation, but you must equally be prepared to try a large variety of new, exciting and alternative sports. You need to be well organised, use independent study time to complete all tasks and work to deadlines. Good research skills are extremely useful, but more importantly is a love for sport in all its forms. The willingness to independently develop your knowledge and experience of the subject will be paramount to your success on the course.
The course is based on students responding to a set task for each of the fourteen units. All tasks are related to situations that could arise in the Sports industry.
There are three main types of assessment per unit:
1) Internally set and marked coursework assignment
2) Externally set and marked coursework assignment
3) External written exam
Internal and external coursework assignments could include:
- Written documents: eg Research investigations, reports, powerpoints, session plans, evaluations and logbooks
- Physical evidence: eg Photographs, interviews, presentations and videos of practical performance
- Assessor records: eg Registers, marksheets and observation records
- Third party records: eg mentor records and witness statements
The BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport has been designed to ensure sensible progression of content from BTEC level 2 and includes similar approaches to assessment. It builds on the understanding developed at KS4 while also supporting learners choosing to begin their study of PE or develop their love of Sport for the first time.
It encourages learners to become more competent and confident in their performance techniques or leadership skills, and apply them across a wide range of situations.
It helps students develop important transferable skills for progression to the next level, including communication, coaching and an understanding of practical performances. The blend of applied knowledge and relevant experience strongly positions students to access a growing number of physical education, sport and physical activity higher education programmes or employment in the sport, leisure and tourism sector
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Saints Peter and Paul Catholic College directly.