Accessibility links

Computing A Level at St Mark's Catholic School

Course description

This is a modern qualification that gives students an insight into a range of computing systems, including an understanding of the principals of programming and the solving of problems. Students can develop the capacity to think creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically.

Computer Science is a practical subject where students can apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real-world systems. It’s an intensely creative subject that combines invention and excitement, that can look at the natural world through a digital prism. The Computer
 
Science qualifications will value computational thinking, helping students to develop the skills to solve problems, design systems and understand the power and limits of human and machine intelligence.

These are the concepts that lie within the core of the Computer Science qualifications. It will prepare students for further study in Computer

Science at a higher level but will also provide a good grounding for other subject areas that require computational thinking and analytical skills.

Course content

• Students gain an appreciation of computing fundamentals, including hardware, software, the presentation, structure and management of data, how data is transmitted and networked, the life cycle of systems development, the characteristics of information systems, and the implications of computer use.
 
• Students gain an appreciation of designing solutions to particular problems, how procedural programs are structured, the types of data and data structures, the common facilities of procedural languages, how to write maintainable programs, and how to test and run solutions.
 
• Students understand the function of operating systems, the function and purpose of translators, how computer architectures are structured, how data is represented, how data is structured and manipulated, high level language programming paradigms, low level languages and how databases function.
 
• Through coursework, students gain an understanding of definition, investigation and analysis, system design, software development and testing, documentation, evaluation and how to produce written reports covering these topics.

Assessment

The A Level will consist of two externally marked question papers (01 Computer systems and 02 Algorithms) weighted at 80% of the qualification. The other 20% will be the coursework Programming Project (03 Programming), which will be focused on solution analysis, programming, testing and evaluation.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Mark's Catholic School directly.

Last updated date: 18 December 2017
Provider logo

Key information

Venues