Professional Cookery (Introduction) Level 1 at South Cheshire College
The Diploma in Professional Cookery takes into account the latest approach to food safety, health and safety legislation and current industry practices. The content of this qualification is underpinned by the belief that to work as a successful chef in the catering industry it is essential to have a good foundation in a wide range of high quality cooking skills and to be able to apply those skills across a range of catering contexts. Successful candidates will be able to understand the theory which underpins the cooking skills learnt sufficiently well to be able to adapt them in different working environments. Successful completion of the qualification would enable a candidate to enter employment at a commis chef level within a kitchen.
- Introduction to the catering and hospitality industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety awareness
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Food preparation methods, including boiling, poaching, steaming, stewing, braising, baking, grilling, deep and shallow frying
- Introduction to personal workplace skills
4 GCSEs D-G, including Maths and English. Students also need to show a keen interest in hospitality and catering. In addition candidates are subject to an initial interview to assess their suitability.
Diploma in Professional Cookery Level 2.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Cheshire College directly.