Business Studies A Level at Hereford Sixth Form College
This course helps you to develop a number of skills: how to assemble data and assess it; how to investigate facts and use deduction; how to present your point of view fluently and how to work as a team to achieve results.
In Business Studies you will:
- Gain an understanding of the nature and working of business and industry.
- Develop communication, numeracy and IT skills.
- Learn how to set objectives and how to make business decisions with limited information and resources.
The A Level assesses quantitative skills making up a minimum of 10% of the overall marks. The skills tested include ratios, averages, fractions, percentages and calculations of profit and loss.Year One
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision-making.
- Decision making to improve marketing performance.
- Decision making to improve operational performance.
- Decision making to improve financial performance.
- Decision making to improve human resource performance.
- Analysing the strategic position of a business.
- Choosing a strategic direction.
- Strategic methods.
- Managing strategic change.
The department provides many of the resources, but you will be encouraged to buy some business publications at a cost of around £20 each year.
There are no specific entry requirements and you are not expected to have studied Business Studies before.
Many successful students go on to business-related higher education courses including accountancy, management science, leisure management and marketing.
Business courses incorporating a foreign language are very popular.
Other students have made use of their knowledge in a wide variety of employment situations.
There are various optional trips and seminars which you might like to attend.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hereford Sixth Form College directly.