Economics A Level at Central Foundation Girls' School
Students who have an interest in knowing why the world works in the way that it does. It allows students to apply mathematical concepts to predict consumers’ behaviour.
AS Level consists of units focusing on individuals, firms, markets and market failure:
- Economic methodology and the economic problem
- Individual economic decision making
- Price determination in a competitive market
- Production, costs and revenue
- Perfect competition, imperfectly competitive markets and monopoly
- The labour market
- The distribution of income and wealth: poverty and inequality
- The market mechanism, market failure and government intervention in markets
A Level consists of the AS units plus a further look at the national and international economy.
- The measurement of macroeconomic performance
- How the macroeconomy works : the circular flow of income, AD/AS analysis, and related concepts
- Economic performance
- Financial markets and monetary policy
- Fiscal policy and supply-side.
5 good GCSEs with 5 in En PLUS
There is no coursework in this course and all assessment is done by exam.
AS Level – 2 exams, 1hr 30min each
- Paper 1: The operation of markets and market failure
- Paper 2: The national economy in the global context
A Level – 3 exams, 2 hours each
- Paper 1: Markets and market failure
- Paper 2: National and international economy
- Paper 3: Economic principles and issues
Progress onto university or onto a high level apprenticeship. Data shows that Economics graduates are highly sort after and are consistently recruited into the top paying graduate professions
Economics is strongly based on mathematics and logic and is about using these concepts to analyse behaviour and predict the outcomes.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Central Foundation Girls' School directly.