Level 3 BTEC Travel and Tourism at Wadebridge School
BTEC Level 3 Certificate (equivalent to AS)
Students complete 3 pieces of coursework in their first year. In Year 12 you will study 3 units which all carry equal weighting of 10 credits.
- Unit 1: Investigating the Travel and Tourism Sector. Learn about the range of different travel organisations.
- Unit 2: The UK as a Destination. Learn about the UK Tourism product.
- Unit 3: European Destinations. Learn about the diverse destination in the European travel market.
BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma (equivalent A2)
Students complete a further 3 pieces of coursework if they wish to achieve the full Subsidiary Diploma. In Year 13 you will study 3 different units which all carry equal weighting of 10 credits.
- Unit 4: The Business of Travel and Tourism. Learn how travel and tourism organisations operate within the business environment.
- Unit 5: Customer Service in Travel and Tourism. Learn how important customer service skills are to organisations.
- Unit 6: Long-haul Travel Destinations. Learn about long destinations and skills to plan multi-centre tours.
The course is for students who have an interest in developing their knowledge and understanding in the growing and dynamic sector of Travel and Tourism.
Students will have to meet many deadlines set by their teachers but can do this at their own pace rather than having to perform to the time constraints of an exam. They will need to be highly organised to keep on top of their coursework and enjoy independent research using a variety of sources.
Students will need to meet the Sixth Form Level 3 entry criteria, including Maths, English and a Science at GCSE if they intend to study the course.
- Analysing the requirements of the performance criteria. (No Examinations at present, but this may be subject to change from September 2013).
- Individual work with the teacher on how to improve work to meet the next grade boundary.
- Group and individual work on presentations and role plays.
- Practical activities e.g. mini investigations.
- Using websites to keep up to date with recent research.
Level 3 BTEC in Travel and Tourism provides an introduction to the sector for learners looking to build a career in Travel or Tourism through retail travel, visitor attractions, transport, tour operations and customer service. It also offers direct progression into Higher Education. On a BTEC course you will develop critical thinking and analytical skills, alongside familiarity with evaluative techniques; self-reliance, initiative and the ability to manage time, projects and resources. These attributes are much sought after by employers.
Independent Study Time:
When studying the BTEC way, progress is measured throughout the course, allowing the student to gauge their own performance on a continual basis, just like in a real workplace. For many learners, the BTEC route with all work assessed through the year and less final exams could be the better option. Students will be expected to use their study time to work on their own assignments.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wadebridge School directly.