Chemistry - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like to develop your scientific skills at an advanced level? A-Level Chemistry is a key subject in the preparation for most careers of a scientific or nature, and is considered very beneficial as a background to a career in the financial or business worlds.
It is also a valuable and interesting subject in its own right. Chemistry lies at the heart of Science. It is the study of the natural world, with a view to identifying chemical patterns of behaviour.
This course develops your understanding of chemistry, both the underlying concepts and their practical implications. It also covers aspects of engineering and provides an underpinning knowledge for a range of careers. It forms a valuable preparation for Higher Education, and the skills of logical, methodical investigation are relevant to all disciplines.
The course is suitable if you are a committed student and have achieved good Chemistry/Science and Maths grades at GCSE level. The course will enhance your interest in the subject and its wider applications, allowing you to excel. All students should be interested in science and its wider applications, and must be willing to read around the subject.
The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study in conjunction with other AS subjects, or possibly with other Level 3 qualifications. Chemistry combines particularly well with another science, but our staff will be happy to help you put together a programme most suited to your needs.
Students are regarded as creative people, making their own sense of phenomena they meet. The course involves learning through experience as much as possible. The learning activities reflect this and include:
- working in groups
- independent study
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- Blended learning (using digital learning applications independently and in laboratory)
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include English or Welsh(1st language) , and at least a grade C in Mathematics (Higher Tier) and at least a grade BB in Double Award Science (Core and Additional Science) or at least a grade B in Chemistry.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level.
NOTE: GCSE Applied Science is not acceptable. Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed in the first year for the AS Level and in the 2nd year for the A Level.
- AS: 2 examinations in Late May/Early June at the end of the 1st year (worth 40% of the total A Level); and
- A2: Practical Examination, March of the 2nd year, and 2 examinations in June of the 2nd year (worth 60% of the total A Level).
Whether you study the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions, including Grŵp Llandrillo Menai. You will also have opportunities for employment, and your logical thinking and practical skills will be valued by employers.
If you choose to continue your studies in a related subject, there are degree courses available in chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry, biomolecular science, forensic science and food-related sciences.
Other career paths associated with A Level Chemistry include Chemistry, Alternative Energy, Chemical Engineering, Material Health Service, Metallurgy, Environmental Science, Petrology Biochemistry, Dentistry, Veterinary Science and Medicine.
You will also be in a good position to pursue a career in teaching, the armed forces or the cosmetic industry. Your studies on the A Level course will help you to make an informed choice from the options available.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.