Public Services BTEC Extended Certificate Level 2 at City College Plymouth
Want to know what it’s like in the police force? Or how you go about getting a job as a fireman? Or what careers might suit you in the civil service? On our study programme, you will be given a working insight into each of the major aspects of public services life and a chance to look behind the scenes before you decide on your chosen career. It aims to provide an environment in which you can mature and develop attitudes and an approach to life appropriate for the career of your choice. Additionally, there will be an introduction to each of the public services, their roles and selection procedures. This will include an appropriate number of visits and visiting speakers which will enable you to work closely with both the armed forces and emergency services. The whole study programme is underpinned by a rigorous programme of sport and fitness training including, Dartmoor expeditions, rock-climbing and abseiling.
The course includes the following study areas:
- improving health and fitness for entry to the uniformed public services
- employment in the public services
- crime and its effects on society
- adventurous and team activities
- employability skills for the public services
- sport and recreation
Extra curricular activities include:
- Thorpe Park
- London - each year the programme team take a party of students to various places of historical interest
- various opportunities for day or 'look at life' visits with uniformed public service employers
- work experience and volunteering
- rock climbing and abseiling
- gorge scrambling.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In order to gain entry onto the BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services you must be successful during an interview and have one of the following:
- Four GCSEs D-F grade including English and maths
- BTEC first certificate/introductory diploma at merit level
- relevant work experience
- NVQ level 1/technical certificate in a related subject
- equivalent qualifications.
Yes, there will be two units externally assessed.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- employment in the Armed Forces, the leisure industry or in other areas pending the application to a public service eg police, fire and rescue etc
- a level 3 course offered at the College.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.