Mechanical maintenance apprenticeship level 3 at AWE
As a mechanical maintenance apprentice you will learn the basics of hand tools then move onto learning the operations of various machines such as milling machines, pillar drill and lathes.
After a year of machining, you'll move on to maintenance where you will pick up a variety of skills including setting up rigs, maintenance and set up of basic pipe fittings, and making crank sets and frost coils. Other tasks will include disassembling and reassembling equipment such as vacuum pumps, Ogden pumps and calorifiers.
There are numerous mechanical maintenance roles on site such as working on the steam powered heating systems, servicing, checking and hanging filters within vacuum pumps, bearing checks and heat and vibration level checks on motors.
Further experience gained during your apprenticeship will include using hydraulic lifting equipment, cranes, compressed air, heater batteries and air ventilation systems.
- A practical aptitude for engineering or technology
- PC literate
- Good communication skills
- Excellent team working skills
- Health and safety aware
- Effective at following instructions
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
Qualifications gained on completion
- NVQ Level 3 in Performing Engineering Operations
- Employee rights and responsibilities
- Personal learning and thinking skills
- National Diploma in Engineering
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact AWE directly.