Carpentry and Joinery Level 2 Diploma at Darlington College
The course is designed for those wanting to work in the construction industry who wish to develop a wide range of practical skills in all aspects of Carpentry and Joinery.
The Carpentry and Joinery Diploma study programme will consist of five key elements which you will need to complete:
- Main Qualification – as above
- Individual & Group tutorial sessions
- Industry related work placement
- Development of English and Mathematics. You will be required to undertake a formal qualification if you have not already achieved at L2.
- Development of enterprise and employability skills
Disclaimer: This is subject to change and courses running will be subject to the correct number of students enrolling.
Your time at college will be spent in both theory and practical lessons, the former will take place in a traditional teaching classroom complete with the latest IT and interactive teaching aids, and the latter will be undertaken in the college site area. Both types of lessons are led by specialised tutors. You will undertake the main qualification aim, supplemented with additional qualifications where applicable and skills in information technology (IT).
Theory and practical elements include:
- How to carry out safe working practices in construction
- Knowledge of information, quantities and communication with others
- Knowledge of building methods and construction technology
- Building methods and construction technology
- How to carry out first fixing operations
- How to carry out second fixing
- How to carry out structural carcassing
- Erect structural carcassing
- How to carry out maintenance
- How to set up and operate a circular saw
You will need the Level 1 Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery. There is no direct entry through GCSEs.
You will be required to attend an interview at the college for all courses and Apprenticeships and we will request a school or college report.
To succeed on this course you will need to be diverse in basic Carpentry and Joinery skills, be motivated and able to self-manage your time to meet set targets. You must have a good work ethic and possess positive personal attributes in terms of good time keeping, communication and co-operation.
You will undertake graded assessments through a range of methods including :
- Practical tasks
- Online Multi-Choice Test
- Paper based Tests
Continue on a level 3 qualification, or alternatively you may want to progress into employment or a Level 3 Apprenticeship in relevant qualification.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Darlington College directly.