Arts, Media & Business Studies at Derwen College
The Arts, Media & Business Studies department, or AMBS as it is known within the college, encompasses performing arts, visual arts, computing and office administration.
AMBS provides you with an individual learning programme which gives you the opportunity to learn transferable work skills within a creative learning environment. From participation in Christmas shows to national performances; learning administrative duties to becoming Personal Assistants; exhibiting Gallery work to working in customer services; Arts, Media and Business Studies you will have the chance to experience a wide range of activities.
There is a range of work experience facilities within AMBS, providing you with hands-on, real-life work:
- Studio One – performing arts, Fashion Show, Christmas Show
- Karten Bureau – printing and finishing services
- The Gallery – producing pieces for display and for sale
- The Print Centre – screen printing, framing and large format printing
- College Reception – meeting and greeting visitors to college
- Ruby Slipper – fancy dress hire
Whether you choose to specialise in the arts or the business side of the department, many of you will undertake a relevant qualification. This gives you a tangible achievement to present to future employers, and backed up with the work experience you will have undertaken, provides you with a great foundation into the working world.
The qualifications we offer include: NPTC Entry Levels 2 and 3; Edexcel BTEC Entry Level 3 and Level 1 Vocational Studies award; ITQ Levels 1 and 2; the Vocational Studies qualification also has the choice to focus on Performing Arts or Visual Arts.
Arts, Media and Business Studies offers a number of work experience opportunities including:
Internal work experience:
- Karten Bureau: Print & Finishing Services
- Print Centre: Screen Printing
- Print Centre: Large Format Printing
- Print Centre: Framing Services
- Despatch: Goods Inwards & Deliveries
- College Reception: Customer Service
- Bradbury Centre: Library Services
- Gallery: Production
- Gallery: Customer Service
- Internal Work Placements: Administration Support
External work experience:
- Llangollen Town Council
- Derwen on Tour
- Gobowen Library
- All Rounders Playgroup
Community Projects include:
- Hair & Beauty
- WISP Theatre Group
- World Skills on Tour
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derwen College directly.