Physical Education A level at Langley Park School for Girls
A Level PE is a course for students who have a genuine interest in understanding the mechanics and science behind elite sports performance. This course builds on the student’s experience from GCSE to enhance their knowledge and increase their understanding of the factors that affect performance and participation in sport.
Topics covered through theory and practical lessons include:
- Applied anatomy and physiology
- Skill acquisition
- Sport and society
- The impact of sport on society and of society on sport
- Exercise physiology
- Biomechanical movement
- Sports psychology
- The role of technology in physical activity and sport
Grade 6 in GCSE PE
Grade 5 in English and Science (BTEC science is not sufficient), Grade 6s are preferred.
Regular performance and competition at a school team or local club for their selected activity is compulsory. Video evidence will be required within the first ½ term
Applicants not meeting these requirements should discuss their prospects with their PE staff.
- A good standard of written English will enable students to meet the demands of the exams.
- A strong ability in science particularly Biology
- Current participation in competitive sport either as a player of coach. You will be required to provide evidence that you are playing/coaching regularly in your chosen activity at competition level.
The course is aimed at those looking to study for the full 2 years and complete the full A level course.
70% of the overall grade is based on theoretical content, assessed via 2 examinations in June of the second year of study
30% of the overall grade is based on sports performance and analysis.
The components hold the following weighting:
- Exam paper 1: Factors affecting participation in physical activity and sport, 2 hours, 35% of A level
- Exam paper 2: Factors affecting optimal performance in physical activity and sport, 2 hours, 35% of A level
- Practical performance in sport: Assessment in 1 fully competitive sport as a performer or coach, 15% of A level
- Analysis of performance: Written/verbal evaluation of their own or anthers performance, 15% of A level
Wide: including Physiotherapy, Professional Athlete, Leisure and Tourism, Sports Development, Sports Psychology, Osteopathy, Chiropractor, Sports Journalist, Sports Manager, Sports Administration and Teaching.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Langley Park School for Girls directly.