Further Mathematics A Level at Prudhoe Community High School
- AO1 recall, select and use their knowledge of mathematical facts, concepts and techniques in a variety of contexts;
- AO2 construct rigorous mathematical arguments and proofs through use of precise statements, logical deduction and inference and by the manipulation of mathematical expressions, including the construction of extended arguments for handling substantial problems presented in unstructured form;
- AO3 recall, select and use their knowledge of standard mathematical models to represent situations in the real world; recognise and understand given representations involving standard models; present and interpret results from such models in terms of the original situation, including discussion of the assumptions made and refinement of such models;
- AO4 comprehend translations of common realistic contexts into mathematics; use the results of calculations to make predictions, or comment on the context; and, where appropriate, read critically and comprehend longer mathematical arguments or examples of applications;
- AO5 use contemporary calculator technology and other permitted resources (such as formulae booklets or statistical tables) accurately and efficiently; understand when not to use such technology, and its limitations; give answers to appropriate accuracy.
A level Further Maths is currently unreformed. This means that the course is modular and will be assessed at the end of Year 13 with 3 examinations which lead, together with AS modules, to an A2 qualification. The three modules are Further Pure Core 3, Further Pure Core 4 and Statistics 2. There is no coursework. All exams are 90 minutes long, have a maximum mark of 75 and contribute to 1/6 of the A2 final grade. There is no coursework.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Prudhoe Community High School directly.