Aviation Operations Level 3 BTEC Diploma at Eastleigh College
This programme is ideal for those wishing to study for the Airline Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL) ground examinations or Air Traffic Control entry tests.
The programme carries UCAS points, which provides a route into university to study aviation or transport related courses.
As a leading professional body, the Royal Aeronautical Society has confirmed its support for this Level 3 Aviation Operations programme. This means it is a highly respected route for those who wish to move into employment in the sector, either directly or following further study.
Units studied on the programme include
- Airport and Airline Commercial Operations
- Meteorology for Ground Staff
- Aircraft Take-Off and Landing Performance
- Airfield Operations
- The Loading of Aircraft
- Flight Operations plus others.
Students without a GCSE at grade A*-C in English or Maths will be required to continue study in this area either through GCSE or Functional Skills.
The pathway followed is dependent on the grade achieved at GCSE, screening and intended progress.
Entry on to the Aviation Operations programme requires a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade A*-C, preferably to include English, Maths and a Science subject.
Prospective students will undertake an interview with the programme manager in which they will demonstrate their interest and commitment to study.
- Teaching and assessment methods will provide variety and will include lectures and discussions; practical demonstrations; seminars; presentations; short tests and written assignments.
- The programme at college is expected to cover between 15 and 16 hours per week. Students can expect to have to undertake homework.
- This two year programme offers progression from the Subsidiary Diploma through to the Extended Diploma, dependent on your entry grades and achievement in Year One.
Apart from supplying their own stationery, there are no additional compulsory programme costs for students. Students may wish to consider expenses for the following:
- Optional logo-embossed pilot/aviation shirt and other embossed iterms;
- Optional trips and excursions which will require a non-refundable deposit.
Eastleigh College has employer links at Southampton Airport and is seeking to expand links with other employers in the region. This qualification is recognised on the Governments Performance Tables as having key relevance and importance to the aviation industry sector
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.