Professional Cookery Introduction City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma at Doncaster College
The 7100 Chef Diploma series are in-depth and detailed qualifications into Professional cookery. The level 1 diploma is the foundation and starting point for anyone who is interested in pursuing a career as a professional chef. This programme focuses on using cooking methods with various ingredients to give you the basic core knowledge and understanding of the science of cookery.
You will work in the kitchens to supply all types of dishes to the Waterfront restaurant for Lunch, Dinner or even afternoon tea through skills sessions You will be required to complete several assignments and on-line tests. You will also sit several skills tests through the year and final tests to test your culinary skills.
You will develop your skills in the following areas of basic Larder and Patisserie.
These skills include:
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Cold food preparation
All these areas will be covered in great depth, typical of a VRQ Diploma qualification.
Alongside the practical skills you will also be required to research and develop assignment work for necessary core knowledge of the Hospitality and Catering industry. These include;
- Introduction to the catering and hospitality industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Introduction to personal workplace skills
Alongside this qualification you will also complete a VRQ level 1 Diploma in Food and Beverage service dealing with
- Legislation in food and beverage service
- Understand menus
- Dealing with payments and bookings
- Food and beverage service skills
- Bar service skills
- Hot beverage skills
This will give you a solid understanding of how this area works and how the links between the kitchen and restaurant are fundamental.
- 2 GCSEs grades G and above
- An entry level 3 in numeracy and literacy
- For equivalent qualifications see the Entry Requirements Explained page
- All applicants must complete an initial assessment in Maths and English and attend an interview
Assessment for this qualification consists of:
- 6 Practical Test throughout the year,
- 2 end of year synoptic practical exams (1 larder exam, 1 pastry exam)
- Written Assignment Work
- Short Answers Questions
Following successful completion learners may progress onto the Professional Cookery Level 2 Diploma or the Professional Cookery Level 2 NVQ.
This qualification will provide opportunities to gain employment serving food and drink to customers in the hospitality industry in positions such as junior commis chef and trainee positions within hotels, cafes and restaurants.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Doncaster College directly.