Accessibility links

Design and Technology Product Design with Resistant Materials AS/A Level at Okehampton College

Course description

Students learn about designing and making in order to become creative designers themselves. Researching, analysing, dismantling and developing products helps students to think independently and creatively when problem solving. Product Design adds technical skill to Art and applies knowledge and understanding gained from studying Science and Maths in an enjoyable, rewarding and practical way. (If you have the opportunity I would recommend speaking to current and past A Level students to share their experiences).

At both AS and A Level students have the opportunity to Design and Manufacture products. This constitutes 60% of the course. The other 40% is in the form of an exam. The exams focus on Design and Technology in Practice at AS and Designing for the Future at A Level.

Entry requirements

Design and Technology A Level was recently recommended by the Russell Group of University’s to be taken alongside Maths and Physics for all students interested in applying for a wide range of career opportunities in Design, Manufacturing, Engineering, Architecture and other Creative Industries. It has also been categorised by UCAS in the science group of subjects for some course options.

With this in mind the entry requirements for this course are a B grade in GCSE Design Technology (either Electronics or Resistant Materials) or a B grade in Art & Design; a B grade in Maths, Science and English are also highly recommended.

NOTE: If you did not study GCSE Design and Technology and now wish to study A Level Product Design then please arrange to speak to Mr Bishop who may discuss other ways to meet the minimum entry requirements i.e. short skills tasks etc.

Future opportunities

Results have continued to be excellent with many students choosing to continue studying a Design & Technology related subjects at University.

Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, 3D Design, Industrial Design, Design Engineering and Agricultural Engineering are amongst the subjects being studied at Universities including Manchester, Harper Adams, Edinburgh, Southampton, and Bournemouth. Successful students have gained career opportunities in a variety of companies, including Jaguar Landrover and JCB.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Okehampton College directly.

Last updated date: 16 August 2016

Key information

Venues