Music Edexcel AS Level at Littleover Community School
'Without music, life would be a mistake' -Nietzsche.
Music A Level is essential for those students intending to study the subject at Higher Education level, with music as the main or subsidiary subject or as part of a Creative and Performing Arts course.
A high percentage of students who study music at LCS have progressed to study music at British Universities and Conservatories.
Students will need to demonstrate enthusiasm, commitment, an interest in varied musical styles and a desire to develop skills in a greater depth.
- A love of performing and the commitment to work towards a recital performance.
- A willingness to explore composing techniques and musical ideas.
- A secure level of musical literacy is fundamental.
- A willingness to further develop research and essay writing skills is necessary.
- An open mind to respond to listening to a variety of music.
- The ability to play the piano/keyboard would be an advantage, but not a necessity.
Unit 1: Performing
- Perform one or more solo/ensemble pieces lasting 6 or more minutes. Performance will be recorded after March 1st 2017.
Unit 2: Composing
- Compose TWO pieces, one to a set brief and one of free choice (or also to a brief).
- Both pieces will last for at least 2 minutes and the total time must be greater than 4 minutes 30 seconds.
Unit 3: Appraising
- A 90 minute paper divided into TWO sections:
- Areas of Study and Dictation
- Extended Response
This will be partly based on a cross section of 12 set works from the following areas of study:
- Instrumental music
- Vocal music
- Music for film
- Popular music and jazz
- New directions
Littleover Community School Sixth Form specialises in AS and A2 Level Courses - we do not offer any alternative/vocational courses. Regardless of which 'wave' of the ongoing A Level reforms each subject is in, we will expect all students to sit AS examinations at the end of Year 12 and A2 examinations at the end of Year 13.
We therefore expect all students to enrol to study 4 AS Levels in Year 12. Most students will then drop one subject at the end of Year 12 having completed the AS Level qualification, continuing with the other 3 to A2 level.
The minimum entry criteria for Littleover Community School Sixth Form is 5 A*-C/9-5 grades at GCSE including Maths and English Language. Students who achieve a grade 4 in Maths or English Language will be considered on an individual basis. However, the vast majority of our students will achieve 8 or more A*-C/9-5 grades with A*-8/9-6 in the subjects they wish to study at A Level. If students plan to study subjects that they have not studied at GCSE level we will expect A*-B/9-6 in subjects that have a similar skills set.
Specific entry criieria:
- Arts Administration
- Music Therapy
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Littleover Community School directly.