Geography A Level at John Leggott Sixth Form College
You will study global challenges such as hazards, climate change and migration of populations; also the regeneration of areas, and the impact which superpowers have on the global economy, politics and the environment.
- Tectonic processes and hazards (paper 1): Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and secondary hazards such as tsunamis. The causes, impacts on people and management.
- Coastal landscapes and change (paper 1): Waves, tides, sub-aerial processes and sea level change produce a variety of coastal landscapes. Coastal management strategies.
- Globalisation (paper 2): The spread of global TNCs, migration of populations, development of communication has impacts on countries and people.
- Regenerating places (paper 2): Urban and rural areas are in need of regeneration using a variety of strategies using tourism, sport, retailing and culture.
- The water cycle and water insecurity (paper 1): Physical and human processes influence the water cycle causing flooding and water supply problems. Climate change and El nino.
- The carbon cycle and energy security (paper 1): Human influences on the carbon cycle causes global warming. The use of renewables and biofuels and issues of energy security.
- Climate change futures (paper 1): Future climate change poses a serious threat to the health of the planet and there are a range of solutions to it.
- Superpowers (paper 2): Superpowers and emerging superpowers have a significant impact on the global economy, global politics and the environment.
- Global development and connections (paper 2): The reasons for variations in the level of development across the world and the causes and impacts of international migration.
GCSE English at grade C or above. GCSE average 5.0 or above.
80% exams, 20% coursework.
Many students go on to careers in areas including town planning, environmental development, journalism and the media or even finance and management.
You will take part in numerous one-day field trips to coastal, urban and rural areas. You can also take part in enrichment activities such as Travel Destinations, International Dimensions or the overseas volunteering project group World Challenge.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Leggott Sixth Form College directly.