ICT BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate at Samuel Whitbread Academy
The Level 3 BTEC Extended Certificate for IT Practitioners consists of 360 guided learning hours (GLH) (4 units). The BTEC Subsidiary Diploma offers a specialist qualification that focuses on particular aspects of employment within the IT and Business sector. BTEC Subsidiary Diploma is a qualification which can extend a learner’s programme of study and provide vocational emphasis for learners following other GCEs or a combination of both.
The BTEC Extended Certificate in ICT has been developed to focus on:
• Education and training for IT employees
• Providing opportunities for learners to achieve a nationally recognised level 3 vocationally specific qualification in IT
• Giving learners the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised vocationally specific qualification to enter employment in the IT sector or to progress to higher education vocational qualifications such as the BTEC Higher National in Computing
• Giving learners the opportunity to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life
• A BTEC Level 3 Diploma is broadly equivalent to one GCE A Level.
The course is made up of 4 units, 3 mandatory and one of our choice.
Units offered are:
• Unit 1: Information Technology Systems - 120 GLH – 2 hour examined unit worth 90 marks taken in January or May/June
• Unit 2: Creating systems to manage Information - 60 GLH – a task set and marked externally completed under supervised conditions worth 66 marks
• Unit 3: Unit 3: Using Social Media in Business - 60GLH - Explore the impact of social media on the ways in which businesses promote their products and services, develop and implement a plan to use social media in a business
• Unit 5: Data Modelling OR Unit 6: Website Development - 60 GLH portfolio unit
• APS 3.8
• Grade 4 in GCSE maths
• Grade 5 in Language or Literature (discussion with department if grade 4s are achieved)
• Combination of coursework, exam and externally set tasks
BTEC Extended Certificate offers direct progression onto BTEC Higher National programmes or BTEC Foundation Degree programmes.This course also provides a firm basis for further studies in higher education in Computing and related subjects. A BTEC Subsidiary Diploma also prepares students for employment in their chosen career.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Samuel Whitbread Academy directly.