Creative Writing - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
In this course, students will learn to write creatively across a range of genre, developing styles and learning techniques for effective writing. Students will gain expertise in their own preferred forms of writing and will write in prose fiction and non-fiction, poetry or script for page, performance, radio, screen or digital media. The focus is on creating work, on the act of writing, rather than just theory. Students will be encouraged to read broadly, critically, and more personally as a writer; and they will develop their own critical skills, sharing work, giving feedback, and reflecting on their own creative process.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Classroom learning
- Analytical reading and writing
- Independent research
- Group work
- Creative Workshops
- Portfolio Creation
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Mathematics and English and at least a grade B in GCSE English or English Language or English Literature. Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level
- All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed as follows:
- External examinations are taken in June each year
- LT2 and LT3 provide coursework opportunities
Creative Writing has gained enormous popularity in recent years as a subject for further and higher education in recognition of the huge market that exists in this area. It will also be of great interest as a complementary option to students studying English Literature, English Language, Media, Film Studies, Drama and Theatre Studies, Sociology or Psychology.
This course would be useful for those students interested in careers in journalism, marketing, public relations, publishing and the media industry as a whole.
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
Depending on the campus, students may be able to access elements of the programme in both English and Welsh through some programme learning materials being made available bilingually. Details will be provided to you at interview.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.