Accessibility links

Beverage Service Intermediate Apprenticeship at HIT Training

Course description

Qualification summary

This is the hospitality industry‚Äôs professional qualification for staff who serve both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks in any type of outlet. It is suitable for all hospitality staff who serve drinks as part of their normal job role.
The NVQ units cover all types of outlets from fine dining restaurants through to popular bars, gastro pubs and nightclubs.
This apprenticeship in Beverage Service allows you to train while you work, and there are NVQ units to match your normal job role.
This qualification is suitable for those already in employment as well as those wishing to enter the hospitality industry.
You could progress from this qualification to Team Leading Apprenticeship or the Hospitality Supervision and Leadership diploma if you get promoted to a supervisory role.

Course content

This Intermediate Apprenticeship will last 12 months and is made up of the following components:

  • BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality & Catering Principals (Beverage Service) (Technical Certificate)
  • NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Beverage Service (Vocational Qualification)
  • Functional Skills Maths (Level 1)
  • Functional Skills English (Level 1)
  • Employment Rights and Responsibilities
  • Personal Learning and Thinking Skills

Entry requirements

This is down to the eligibility of the candidate and also an Initial assessment.

The employer will also need to demonstrate suitability of training programme by completing a skills scan.


Continuous Assessment in the workplace

Assessment reviews take place every 2 - 4 weeks

Financial information

An employer contribution is applicable and is dependent on the size of the organisation and the volume of participants on the training programmes.

Future opportunities

You will find jobs in pubs, clubs, wine bars, restaurants, hotels and other leisure complexes. You could also work in theatre bars, holiday centres, sports clubs, airport terminals, on ships, trains and aircraft.

Experienced and enthusiastic bar staff can expect swift promotion to bar supervisor, deputy bar manager, bar manager, or even a pub landlord.

There are opportunities for you to become the licensee of a public house.

Managed houses (pubs) are owned by the pub chain or brewery and you could be appointed manager.

You could become your own boss in a tenanted house owned by a pub chain, or the Owner/Manager of a Free house.

Further information

For more information about HIT Training and this Apprenticeship visit 

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact HIT Training directly.

Last updated date: 19 March 2015
Provider logo

Key information

Contact details

    • Contact name:
    • HIT Training - Information
    • Contact telephone number:
    • 0800 093 5892
    • Email address: