Accessibility links

Art and Design A level at Walton High

Course description

The study of Art and Design opens many doors into both employment and Higher Education. Careers in graphic design, architecture, textiles, fashion, interior design, ceramics, art history, printmaking, teaching and many others can be followed with qualifications in Art and Design. As a creative subject, with such a variety of areas within the Art and Design field, the choices for careers are vast.

This qualification is designed to encourage a broad approach to Art, which will develop a sound grounding in a number of areas while still exploring the subject in depth. The specifications build on the skills, knowledge and understanding acquired at KS4.

Students can work in various specialisms, studying areas such as fine art, graphic design, 3D design, photography and critical studies.

Course content

The course is split into two units, a personal investigation which is 60% of the grade and an externally set assignment which makes up the remaining 40%.

Entry requirements

8 GCSEs (A*-C) or above, including English Language and Maths. Grade C in Art & Design GCSE. Students who have studied Level 2 BTEC Art & Design will require at least a Merit.


A 15 hour controlled time (exam) in the second year of the programme, to produce a final piece.

Future opportunities

Art and Design can lead to numerous courses in higher education and foundation courses. This in turn could lead to an art specialism at degree level, including Fashion Design, Photography, Fine Art, Textiles, Graphic Design, Ceramics, Architecture, Art History, Teaching, Illustration, Printmaking, Art Restoration and Interior Design. Employment after A Level could include Publishing, Drama and Film sets, Product Design, Photography, Shop displays/exhibitions and Printing.

Further information

Students are expected to take full advantage of all the opportunities offered to enrich their experience and enhance their artistic appreciation. Visits to the major London galleries and local exhibitions, working with an artist in residence and Master Classes are arranged throughout the course.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Walton High directly.

Last updated date: 28 September 2016
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 years