Psychology at Samuel Lister Academy
Psychology develops your critical thinking, a key feature of higher education. Psychology is a science which uses cutting edge research that has real world applications, from artificial intelligence to social change. You will learn to look at the world from different perpspectives as well as learning how to analyse and interpret data. You will also develop your discussion and confidence skills through developing your ability to put across your viewpoint fluently.
Unit 1 - Assessed in January
- Cognitive psychology: Memory an Eyewitness Testimony
- Developmental psychology: Attachment and the effects of daycare
- Research Methods: In the context of topic areas
Unit 2 - Assessed in Summer
- Biological psychology: Stress, factors affecting stress, coping with stress and managing stress
- Social psychology: Conformity, Obedience and Independant behaviour
- Individual differences: Definitions of abnormality, Approaches and Therapies
Unit 3 - Assessed in January
- Cognition and development: Children's thinking
- Social psychology: Relationships, Aggression
Unit 4 - Assessed in Summer
- Psychopathology: Schizophrenia and Depression
- Psychology in Action: Media psychology
- Research methods
At Least 5 GCSE's at Grade C and above including Maths, English and Science
Assessment is done in the form of four exams over the two year course. The first three exams are 90 minutes long and the final exam lasts 2 hours
There are links to biology, computer and forensic sciences as well as other humanities subjects. Psychology can be used in a variety of ways not just in psychology based careers. It is widely used in other caring services as well as marketing and business.
For further information please contact Mrs S Majid, Head of Psychology at Samuel Lister Academy
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Samuel Lister Academy directly.