English Language A - GCSE at Challenge College
In England, a specification must require the range of reading assessed to include prose, poetry and drama. Within this, the range must include:
* a play by Shakespeare;
* work from the English literary heritage by at least one major writer with a well-established critical reputation;
* texts from different cultures and traditions. The reading assessed should also include:
* non-fiction texts;
* media texts.
Candidates will learn from the following six categories of literature:
* Prose published before 1914
* Prose published after 1914
* Poetry published before 1914
* Poetry published after 1914
* Drama published before 1914
* Drama published after 1914.
No entry requirements
- Written Paper 70%
- Coursework 30%
This qualification is a recognised part of the National Qualifications framework. As such, GCSE provides progression from Key Stage 3 to post-16 studies.
It lays an appropriate foundation for further study of the subject or related subjects. In addition, it provides a worthwhile course for students of various ages and from diverse backgrounds in terms of general education and lifelong learning.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Challenge College directly.