Design and Technology at Downham Market Academy
We are offering OCR D & T: Engineering and D & T: Product Design but each have common core elements. These are:
• Identifying requirements
• Learning from existing products and practice
• Implications of wider issues
• Design thinking and communication
• Material considerations
• Technical understanding
• Viability of design solutions
• Manufacturing processes and techniques
• Health and safety
This is focused towards engineered and electronic products and systems; the analysis of these in respect of function, operation, components and materials, in order to understand their application and uses in engineered products/systems that have commercial viability.
This is focused towards consumer products and applications; their analysis in respect of materials, components, and marketability to understand their selection and uses in industrial and commercial practices of product development.
Content Overview AS
This paper is set out through five sets of questions that cover the full scope of examined content: -
- Analyse existing products
- Demonstrate applied mathematical skills
- Apply their tec hnical knowledge and understanding of materials, product functionality, manufacturing processes and techniques
- Understanding of design thinking and wider social, moral and environmental issues that impact on the design and manufacturing industries
- Demonstrate their ability to solve problems.
- Principles of 90 marks 1 hour 45 minutes, Written paper 50% of total AS level
Learners undertake a ‘product development’ in response to a given context. Their ‘product development’ will be user - centred and w ill either deliver iterative improvements to an existing product or re-purpose a product for alternative use. Innovative approaches will be required resulting in a final prototype that can be tested against the user and the market.Contexts released on 1 June each year.
Product Development 90 marks Approx. 45 hours, Non - exam assessment, 50% of total AS level.
A level covers the theory in more detail, but instead of the Contextual Challenge, there a substantial Design, Make and Evaluate Project . Learners identify a design opportunity or problem of their own choice, and create a portfolio of evidence in real time through the project to demonstrate their skills.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Downham Market Academy directly.