Economics AS/A2 Level at Nottingham Academy
This will interest students who enjoy interpreting data and
analysing graphs and information about the allocation of
scarce resources to meet people’s demands. This course looks
at national and international issues regarding factors that
influence wealth, income and well-being.
You will study four topics over 2 years. The subject content in
year 1 includes how the price mechanism allocates resources
and the nature of supply and demand and economic policies
used in the market.
Within year 2 students should be able to analyse the pricing
and output decisions of firms in different contexts. They should
also be capable of making an appraisal of government
intervention aimed at promoting competitive markets. You
will then look at trends in the global economy over the last
Units covered at AS
– AS unit 1: Competitive Markets How they work and why they fail?
– AS unit 2: Managing the Economy.
Units covered at A2
– A2 unit 3: Business Economics and Economic Efficiency.
– A2 unit 4: The Global Economy.
5+ A*-C grades at GCSE including B grade or above in English
There will be examinations at the end of year 1 and 2.
– Unit 1: Examination 1hr 30 mins - 25 % of A level.
– Unit 2: Examination 1hr 30 mins - 25% of A level.
– Unit 3 Examination 1hr 30 mins - 20% of A level.
– Unit 4: Examination 2hrs - 30% of A level.
Any economics, finance, mathematics, management, politics degree.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nottingham Academy directly.