Community Sports Leaders Award at Brownhills School
What is CSLA? CSLA is a one year course, usually completed in Year 12. It is aimed at developing your ability to communicate, plan and lead sporting activities safely and effectively. On successful completion of the course you will gain a nationally-recognised leadership qualification from Sports Leaders UK.
It is a practical course, with the emphasis on developing your leadership and skills in a sporting environment. Through practical lessons you will learn what skills are required of a successful leader and how to develop your knowledge, confidence and competence as well as your organisational skills. Course Content You will have one lesson a week over the year. Initially this will be teacher lead covering the key aspects.
The course then becomes more student-centred as you put your leadership skills into practise. There are 7 core units which are shown below:
- Plan, lead and evaluate a sport session
- Develop leadership skills
- Lead a session to improve fitness
- Adapting sports activities
- Establish and maintain a safe sports session
- Organise and deliver a sports event or competition
- Pathways in sport and recreation Assessment Ongoing, practical assessments are held throughout the year
Admission criteria varies according to the programme. Priority will be given on all courses to students who have an A*- C in English and Maths.
You are assessed in two ways:
- You and a partner have to successfully run a lesson on a sporting activity of your choice
- Complete 10 hours voluntary leadership.
This could be at a local sports club, school or holiday club or, by signing up with the School’s Volunteer Academy to activities throughout the year. It is your responsibility to find your volunteer placement and be commited to it! Our dedicated, enthusiastic team of sports teachers will help you to achieve your aim. We can offer you a friendly, supportive learning environment and many opportunities to gain new experiences.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brownhills School directly.