Spanish AS and A Level at Shenley Brook End School
The A level Spanish course should encourage students to:
• develop their interest in, and enthusiasm for, language learning
• enhance their linguistic skills and promote and develop their capacity for critical
thinking on the basis of their knowledge and understanding of the language, culture and society of the country or countries where the language is spoken
• develop language learning skills and strategies, including communication strategies to sustain communication and build fluency and confidence
• equip themselves with transferable skills such as autonomy, resourcefulness,
creativity, critical thinking, and linguistic, cultural and cognitive flexibility that will
enable them to proceed to further study or to employment
• Social issues and trends
• Political and artistic culture
• Students must study the themes and sub-themes in relation to at least one Spanish-speaking country.
• A level students will be expected to have studied the grammatical system and
structures of the language during their course. Knowledge of grammar will be
assessed as part of the examination.
• Works: Literary texts and films
• Students must study either one text and one film or two texts from a prescribed list.
Students choosing to continue with Spanish at A level:
• need to have gained at least a grade B in the Spanish GCSE examination, or show evidence of being a native speaker, in order to cope with the demands of this
• need to feel confident at this level in the four language skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking.
• are expected to have some knowledge and understanding of the culture and way of life in Spanish speaking countries.
• need to be interested in developing this understanding and in exploring in more
depth the topic areas covered at GCSE.
• need to undertake individual research and reading around the subject to enhance
The course is assessed through three units at the end of the two year course.
Paper 1 – Listening, Reading and Writing (40% of A level)
Paper 2 – Writing (30% of A level)
Paper 3 – Speaking (30% of A level)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Shenley Brook End School directly.