Government and Politics A level at Havering Sixth Form College
This is a varied and relevant subject giving you a real insight into the workings of modern Britain. You will have the opportunity to debate current affairs, form your own opinions about many controversial issues and study ideological viewpoints. Some level of interest in current affairs is important.
You can expect to:
- Study the workings and structure of the British political system
- Learn about on-going changes in UK politics (constitutional reform/electoral reform)
- Develop and understand political concepts and current affairs
- Explore political issues and ideology including ecology, multi-culturalism and liberalism
- Keep up to date with the news
One grade B and four grade Cs at GCSE, C Grade English Language GCSE, An interest in the news and current affairs is advisable.
Exam Board - Edexcel
Students have to pay for a number of trips which are arranged during the year. Costs vary.
A variety of options will be open to you after completing this subject. You can apply for degree courses in Humanities, Arts or Social Sciences and in particular study of Politics, History and Law. Politics can lead to a number of career choices including journalism, the civil service, local government, law and teaching.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Havering Sixth Form College directly.