Carpentry and Joinery Level 1 Diploma at Isle of Wight College
This course is for those wishing to embark upon a career in Wood Occupations. Attendance will normally be up to four days each week of the 36 week academic year, though timetables and attendance patterns may vary.
You will study 6 theory and 6 practical Units :
- Carry out safe working practices in construction
- Knowledge of information, quantities and communicating with others
- Knowledge of building methods and construction technology
- Knowledge of basic woodworking joints
- Know how to maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Know how to prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
The qualification is accessible to everyone. We are looking for a positive attitude and a willingness to work hard. Two GCSEs to include English, maths GCSE at grade D or above, plus a formal interview with written and practical elements included to assess suitability and motivation. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate that high levels of attendance will be achieved.
- Theory test – Online, multiple choice questions Principles of Building
- Practical, Phase test
- Health and Safety test
- Apply problem solving techniques in the areas of competence covered
- Understand the principles of construction in each unit
- Develop practical skills as required by the industry
- Progress to specialist Wood Occupations qualifications in either Carpentry or Joinery
- In the event a learner gains employment through the course there may be the opportunity to undertake an apprenticeship programme.
Note: Entry to Specialist levels is through the satisfactory completion of Level 1 together with a reasonable report from your Tutor, achievement of the proposed Functional skill, along with a good attendance record.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Isle of Wight College directly.